Focus on Suicidal Behaviours
Enrol in the EPA Online Course "Focus on Suicidal Behaviours"
and learn at your own pace, wherever you want!
This course is directed by Prof. Emilie Olié and Prof. Jorge López-Castromán from the University of Montpellier, France.
Through the lenses of more than 15 of the world’s leading experts in the field of suicidology, this course will allow you to learn more about suicidal behaviour, its treatment and how to prevent it.
The topics range from public health to the advances of neurobiology, clinical assessment and optimal treatment.
The last decades have seen the greatest advances in our knowledge about the causes of suicidal behaviours and in our skills to take care of those at risk and prevent future suicidal events. In this online course, we will give you an overview of these advances through the lenses of some of the world‘s leading experts in the field of suicidology.
Throughout the lessons, we will visit the social, biological and psychological mechanisms that explain suicidal behaviours. We will examine the cases of those who are particularly exposed and will help you master the key elements in the assessment of suicidal risk.
With this course, you will hone your knowledge about its treatment and prevention.
- Each Chapter will focus on a different topic and will include videos, recommended readings, a quiz and a discussion. All chapters are composed of 4 to 5 video lessons in various format (mini-lectures, demonstrative role-play, etc.) to help you master the knowledge and skills of the related chapter.
- It will take approximately 2 hours to complete each chapter, depending on your own pace and availability.
- There is no prerequisite knowledge or admission requirements to take this course.
You will be able to train whenever and wherever you want - there is no time limit to complete this course!
Assessments & Certificate of Completion
- At the end of each Chapter, you can assess your knowledge with a quiz
- Once you finish the course, you will be able to download your individual Certificate of Completion
- A history of suicidology
- A public health approach to prevent suicidal behaviour
- Individual, dynamic and contextual - Studying suicidal behaviours as a complex system
- Social connectedness and suicide
- Why do we need biomarkers in suicidology?
- Suicide biomarkers
- Genomics of suicidal behaviours
- Prediction of completed suicide in suicide attempters
- Suicidal risk and psychiatric disorders
- Psychological models of suicidal behaviours
- Neuropsychology of suicide behaviours
- Psychological pain and opioids
- Special populations
- Suicide in the elderly
- Suicidal behaviour among the young
- Suicidal behaviour in prison
- The assessment of suicidal risk
- The Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (CAMS)
- Building up a safety plan with a suicidal person
- Suicide Risk Prediction
- Role play - Safety Plan
- Psychotherapeutic and psychopharmacological approaches to the prevention of suicidal risk
- SEYLE - Saving and Empowering Young Lives in Europe. Mental health of European adolescents and suicide prevention
- The European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD)
- Artificial Intelligence & e-health in suicide prevention